Have you ever paid full price for something and then cringed when the person in line behind you checked out for the same thing at a lesser cost? I hate when that happens. Here at Macaroni KID South Hills we want to help you find the best deals in Pittsburgh for you and your family. Bookmark this guide and check back often to see some of the latest deals and steals we can find you in the 'Burgh.
Deals on SouthHills.MacaroniKID.com
We try and keep the best deals in front of you at all times by highlighting them in our newsletters, but we know that sometimes they get missed. Here's a breakdown of a few common places deals get overlooked on our site.
Macaroni KID South Hills Business Directory
The Macaroni KID Business Directory exists to connect parents, grandparents and caregivers with local solutions to their everyday needs. Many of the businesses in our directory offer subscriber exclusive discounts to Macaroni KID readers on things like massages, salon and spa services, sweet treats, meals, lessons and classes for kids, entertainment and SO much more! You can find businesses offering discounts to MacKID readers under the MacKID Deals section of the directory and shared on our social media.
Macaroni KID South Hills Kids Eat FREE or Cheap Guide
We all know that kids are expensive and sometimes that means eating out isn't an option; unless you know what restaurants in the South Hills kids eat free or cheap. As many restaurants are still recovering from COVID, we aren't seeing the amount of deals like we use to, but there's at least 1 good food deal in the South Hills every day of the week. Check out our guide here, and maybe we'll see you on a Tuesday night at Market District where we enjoy a delicious meal for 6 each week for $20!
Macaroni KID South Hills Guides
In addition to our Kids Eat Free Guide, we publish seasonal and annual guides that are loaded with discounts for MacKID readers like our Birthday Party Guide or Holiday Gift Guide. Sometimes we just have guides of free things to do in the area like 40+ Ideas for FREE Fun in the South Hills this Summer! View deals in our current guides here.
Programs and Resources in Pittsburgh
While many of our local attractions in Pittsburgh offer discounts for membership, or even student discounts, some of them offer discounts if you arrive at a different time of day. We want to help you navigate what deal works out best for you and your family.
Museums for All
Through Museums for All, individuals receiving food assistance (SNAP benefits) can gain free or reduced admission to more than 900 museums throughout the United States simply by presenting their EBT card. In Pittsburgh, you can present your EBT card at the following locations:
- The Andy Warhol Museum - general admission for up to four people for $1 each
- Braddock’s Battlefield History Center
- Carnegie Museum of Art
- Carnegie Museum of Natural History - general admission for up to 4 people for $3 each
- Carnegie Science Center - general admission for up to 4 people for $3 each
- Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh
- Mattress Factory
- Old Economy Village (PHMC)
- Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens - general admission for up to 4 people for $3 each
- Pittsburgh Botanic Garden
- The Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium - $3 each general daytime admission for groups of up to 4 people who qualify.
Get a full list of participating museums and more information at museums4all.org
Community Access Memberships
Carnegie Museum of Pittsburgh’s Community Access Memberships provides opportunities for everyone to join as members and enjoy the benefits of being part of the Carnegie Museum's member community all year long by offering FREE Teen Membership and $20 Family Access Memberships. https://carnegiemuseums.org/join-support/membership/access-for-all/
RAD Pass is an online ticket lending system that allows Allegheny County library cardholders ages 18+ to access free or discounted tickets to regional attractions. RAD Pass helps make our region’s cultural resources available and accessible to everyone. Some organizations that participate in RAD pass include:
- Andy Warhol Museum
- Carnegie Museum of Art
- Carnegie Museum of Natural History
- Carnegie Science Center
- Kelly Strayhorn Theater
- MCG Jazz
- New Hazlett Theater
- Pittsburgh Arts & Lectures
- Pittsburgh Cultural Trust
- Pittsburgh Opera
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
Learn more and get your RAD Pass today at https://radpass.org/
RADical Days is an annual "thank you" to taxpayers, offering a chance to see the best of Allegheny County's top cultural destinations free of charge. Find 2022's RADical Days HERE.
Attractions in Pittsburgh
Many of our local attractions in Pittsburgh offer discounts for a variety of things such as memberships, student discounts, and even arriving at a different time of day. We want to help you navigate what deal works best for you and your family before you visit.
The Andy Warhol Museum
- Members of the Andy Warhol Museum receive free admission.
- Half-price admission on Friday's from 5-10pm
- Active U.S. Military personnel receive 50% off admission for up to four people per military ID
- From Armed Forces Day (the third Saturday of May) through Labor Day, active U.S. Military receives free admission for the ID holder and up to five family members as part of the Blue Star Museums Program.
- Veterans of the U.S. Military receive 50% off admission (one person per ID) throughout the year, and 50% off admission for up to four people on Veteran’s Day.
- Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT Card) from any state can receive general admission for up to four people at $1 each when they present EBT card with matching photo ID.
- Bank of America or Merrill Lynch debit or credit card holder or Bank of America employee can receive free admission the first full weekend of each month (must present valid photo ID).
- Free Student admission with valid ID for students enrolled at:
- Carlow University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Chatham University
- Duquesne University (Natural/Environmental Science and Honors College students only)
- Point Park University
- University of Pittsburgh (fall and spring semesters only)
- WQED members receive buy one, get one free admission
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Carnegie Museum of Natural History offers discounts for Access/EBT cardholders, Military/Veterans, and Students at Pitt, CMU, and Chatham who email or call in advance (firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-622-3131). In addition, they offer 50% off admission after 3pm every weekday using promo code "after 3" at checkout. carnegiemnh.org/buy-tickets/
Carnegie Science Center
- University and college students with a valid student ID receive $2 (or more) off general admission.
- Half-price admission for Active Military and up to 3 guests
- Veterans Discount - half price general admission.
- Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Card Discount - general admission for up to 4 people for $3 each
- Community Access Memberships - free teen membership and Family Access Membership (discounted for families eligible for public assistance)
- Highmark Teacher Preview - educators can join the Teacher Appreciation Program for free admission
- Members of the Children's Museum may purchase guests admission at $3 off the regular admission price.
- Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Card Discountfor $2/person, up to 4 people (including the cardholder)
- free admission for active, retired and veteran military members (military ID holder only), including active Reserve and active National Guard members
- From May 21 – Sept 4, 2022 active, retired and veteran military members, including active Reserve and active National Guard members, plus up to 5 guests of the military ID cardholder receive free admission through the Blue Star Museums program (6 admissions total.)
- UPMC Health Plan Members receive $3 off up to 4 people when they show their UPMC Health Plan Card
As much as we want to or try to shop local, online shopping has become so convenient, especially when you're home with kiddos. Here are some of the ways we save while shopping online.
Rakuten (formerly known as E-bates)
Rakuten is a cash back program that sends a check directly to your house once you meet the threshold. Rakuten is one of my most frequently used money savers. I just download the browser extension, and it will automatically pop up with what my cash back saving are and any other discounts it has in its database. The stores I save at most frequently with Rakuten are:
- Sam's Club - I will add all my items to my cart through my Sam's Club app during the week and then when I'm ready to do in store pickup or have it delivered from my house, I'll check out through my computer browser or Rakuten app.
- Walmart - same as above, they also offer in store coupons
- Sephora - this is amazing for finding those hidden deals you wouldn't otherwise know about! You can redeem 2 Rakuten offer codes along with 2 free samples per order in addition to receiving cash back!
- Southwest - save even more when buying your airline tickets by purchasing gift cards from Sam's Club (purchase online through Rakuten) or Giant Eagle for fuel perks/grocery rewards then buying your tickets from Southwest with the Rakuten extension.
Discounts on Food
- Our Kids Eat Free Guide is easily one of my favorite ways to score a deal on family friendly dining.
- Pittsburgh Restaurant Week happens twice a year (summer and winter) and offers amazing discounts on dining for the whole family. Or, get a sitter and enjoy a date night at that fancy restaurant you've been eyeing up.
- Three Rivers Savings Card - use this card at 72 different restaurants in the Pittsburgh area for a different savings at each.
Check out these great deals from our sponsors!
Macaroni KID has national sponsors that are always offering our readers great deals. I will be updating this section of the guide as new deals come through each week. Let us know if you try any out!
If you know of any killer deals we should know about, please let me know! This guide is a work in progress so please bookmark to check back or subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest copy in your inbox.