If you are looking for something fun to do with kids in Baldwin, Bethel Park, Brentwood, Bridgeville, Castle Shannon, Dormont, Jefferson Hills, Mt. Lebanon, Mt. Oliver, Mt. Washington, Pleasant Hills, South Park, South Side, Upper St. Clair, West Mifflin and the surrounding areas, MacKID South Hills has you covered by finding five fun things for you to do with your kids in the area or a short drive away over the coming week. Let us help you find your family fun!
Here are Macaroni KID South Hills' top picks of fun things to do with kids in the South Hills of Pittsburgh area from Monday, September 11th-17th. Click on the links for all the details.
1. Celebrate the Upcoming Fall Season with all the Fall Festivities!
Fall festivities are the perfect way to get families together to spend time celebrating the cooler evenings and all things Fall! Fall is the time for pumpkin carving, attending live performances, corn mazes, hayrides, and so much more. We have sourced to find the best Fall Festivals that will ensure a family-fun holiday season!
Some of the Fall Festivals include:
- Head down to the Waterfront on Sunday, September 17th from 1-5 for Fall Fest and the Great PUP-kin race! This free event will have live music, a pumpkin patch, pumpkin painting, face painting, balloon twisting, and of course, a pup-kin race for our furry friends! Find more details and register your pooch to race here - https://www.waterfrontpgh.com/sale/fall-fest-and-the-great-pup-kin-race/
- Tree Borough Octoberfest is celebrating their 25th anniversary on September 16th from 11 am to 8:30 pm. Fireworks will start around 8:15 pm! Liberty Borough Fall Festival presented by the Volunteer Firemen's Association is on September 15th and 16th starting at 5. This event will be FREE and have many activities that are perfect for you and your family! Children will be able to jump right into having fun with hayrides, inflatables and much more. As for the parents, there will be live performances both nights! Saturday will consist of a thrill as fireworks will be let off to end the Fall Festival!
- Interested in historic sites? EQT Washington & Greene Counties' Covered Bridge Festival will be showing off 9 festival sites that all include their own arts & crafts, entertainment, and more. The weather will not damper the fun on these two exciting festival days!
- Be on the lookout for our Fall Festival and activities guide to come out this week to find family-friendly events around you!
2. Play a Video Game for National Video Games Day!
The first idea of video games occurred within universities in the 1950s. These games were more experimental like the game tic-tac-toe but virtual. Dr. Edward Uhier was the first to present an example of a game machine that was based solely off a mathematical game called “Nim”. As the idea of video games surfaced, the father of gaming, Ralph Baer, developed a game called ‘Brown Box’ and was the first gaming system that was in commercial use. The creation of ‘Brown Box’ was the start of the era that has led to the success of video games that are known today! Pull up a chair, grab that controller and celebrate National Video Game day!
- Did you know that most of our local libraries give your family the opportunity to be able to rent out their own video games? They range from Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switches, etc. and can be checked out in the same way you’d check out a library book
- Enjoy a fun night out at one of the local arcades in the area. Check out Dave & Busters in the Waterfront, Chuck E. Cheese in Bridgeville, the Retro Arcade at IronBlast's Game Zone in Washington Crown Center or Coop De Ville in the Strip! Find all different kinds of fun video games while enjoying some arcade snacks!
- Get your game on at the Andrew Carnegie Music Hall. The library will be hosting a “National Video Game Day” night where lots of gaming and learning more in depth of what National Video Game Day really is all about! Smash Brothers tournaments, old school consoles, Roblox and so much more.
3. Enjoy the incredible weather outside with a mini golf outing!
Mini golf season is just around the corner with the weather starting to cool down. Enjoy an evening at the 3rd annual mini golf outing at Cool Springs or Forsythe Mini Golf Fundraiser at Forsythe Mini Golf! Cool Springs will be hosting cash games, face painting, food trucks, and more with a kickoff time at 4pm. Check out more places to mini golf in the South Hills in our guide for the best mini golf courses around you to enhance your family fun outside!
4. Indoor and Outdoor Fun Filled Events for the Week!
Looking for some fun indoor and outdoor activities recently? No need to look any further, here are some amazing events that are in the South Hills of Pittsburgh!
- Apple picking season has begun! Head over to see our friends at Triple B Farms this weekend between 10-3 for PYO Gala & Honey Crisp Apples or check out our PYO Apple Guide for more orchards near you!
- Be creative and unique with the Lego Club at Dormont Public Library! This club meets every Saturday of each month at 10:30 a.m. Be able to pick through a wide range of Lego blocks to create a masterpiece that is just right for you! Along with Dormont Library, Crafton Library is hosting a Lego Night as well! All ages welcome to come and build! Check out these two great events that will bring out your creative side!
- Board games, board games, and more board games! Enjoy an afternoon outdoors at Table Top Tuesday! Grab some lunch and check at all of the tents at Schenley Plaza!
- Another exciting outdoor activity is at Hale Park! Enjoy a game of pickleball! It's FREE and is made for all ages!
5. Falling for These Great Craft Activities!
You and your family will be FALLING for these amazing fall crafts! Make a Leaf Garland at Western Allegheny Community Library or check out these Fall Crafts that are designed to be fun and simple from the comfort of your own home! Enjoy making egg carton spiders to apple stamped butterflies! If those aren’t what you are looking for, check out these amazing events within your local area! Get creative and have fun with these unique Fall crafts designed just for you and your family!