As parents or caregivers, sometimes it seems we spend all of our time taking care of our family's needs, especially now during COVID when everyone is home more. I don't know about you, but I've found all that "need" eventually makes me burn out if I don't make the effort to take care of myself too.
It's certainly a lot harder to fill your family's emotional needs if your own emotional bank account is on empty.
So here are 7 ideas on how you can find that important time for yourself too, in and around the South Hills; even during the times of a global pandemic:
1. Spend time outdoors
Nothing is better for the soul than getting outside and taking time to think. A walk around the neighborhood suffices, but why not head out on your own or with a friend to a great hiking spot or walking trail, even if it's an hour or two away?
- Boyce Mayview Park, USC
- Montour Trail
- Mingo Creek Park
- Find more Outdoor Winter Fun Spots for the whole family HERE
2. Plan a romantic date night in
I have friends whose kids can't wait for nights they get popcorn for dinner and can watch a movie on a laptop in bed. It's the height of childhood luxury! They don't know it's their parents' way of sneaking in a date night during COVID. Want to give it a try? Here are our favorite locally-owned date night places to order food from:
- The Yard, Mt. Lebo
- Pasta Too, Bethel Park - An oldie but a goodie. Delicious Italian food with portions so big you'll have lunch tomorrow.
- Arlecchino, McMurray - Can't get a reservation here during normal times so why not experience the goodness at home? Make sure you order a slice of the Raspberry Almond Tiramisu; but don't blame me when you find yourself ordering it on the regular (asks hubby to go pick it up....)
- Feeling like braving the mask and sneaking out? Wild Rosemary re-opens on January 15th for indoor dining only and is taking reservations for January and February. Book your date night by calling 412.221.1232
- Take advantage of Pittsburgh Restaurant Week 2021 and order takeout more than once!
3. Find your "people"
Join a South Hills parenting group on Facebook or find a local club or organization that matches your interests.
- MOPS stands for "Mothers of Preschoolers" and is a place where moms gather and receive support from one another. You can find MOPS in Pleasant Hills, Bridgeville, Dormont, Finleyville, and online through Mama Meetups
- Moms Together - if you are a mom with younger children, this is for you! This group meets every other Tuesday in a different home in the South Hills.
- FIT4MOM Bethel Park - FIT4MOM is the nation’s leading prenatal and postnatal fitness program, providing fitness classes and a network of moms to support every stage of motherhood. From pregnancy, through postpartum and beyond, our fitness and wellness programs help make moms strong in body, mind, and spirit.
4. Schedule a spa day
Relax, lie back, and feel your everyday concerns wash away with a spa day. There are so many great spas to choose from in the South Hills. Whichever one you choose, your newly energized self will thank you. Here are three South Hills spas open and with COVID precautions in place:
- Hand & Stone, Upper St. Clair | McMurray
- Evolve Wellness Spa, Shadyside
- Frenchies Modern Nail Care, Upper St. Clair
5. Try something new
It's easy to get bogged down with all of life's "busyness." Take a little time away and explore an activity or hobby you've always wanted to try. From individual hobbies like photography or quilting to group activities like paint nights, running, or cycling groups, there's something for everyone. Some great places in the South Hills to find classes might be:
- AR Workshop, Robinson | Pleasant Hills - AR Workshop has been on my list since they opened in Robinson, but then COVID :( It's a DIY'ers dream. A new AR Workshop just opened up in Pleasant Hills last weekend, and they are offering workshops and DIY-TO-GO Kits. Helloooooooo chunky blankets!
- Simply You Soap & Candle Co., Elizabeth - Book a Soap making workshop!
- Pick up a themed Surprise Bag for Adults at the Mt. Lebo Library! Then try a new one each week for the next 8 weeks!
6. Savor a few minutes of solitude
Spending time alone is good for the soul. Let your partner know you need some alone time and head off to relax -- read a book, take a bath or even just take a walk around the neighborhood. Don't feel like you always have to be doing something "productive."
- Pick up some soy candles from Steel Lotus Gift Shop in Mt. Lebo
- Just Breathe as you walk into Salt of the Earth in McMurray for a session in their incredibly peaceful Himalayan Salt Cave. This hour of meditation will be the best thing you've done for yourself in 2021!
7. Check the Macaroni Kid South Hills website!
Check our Macaroni Kid South Hills page for the latest ideas on family fun in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. You'll find ideas there on how to find your family fun -- even during the pandemic!
Taking care of yourself is so important, and not something to be overlooked -- it will make you a better mom at the end of the day!
A Note to Our Readers - Your local Macaroni Kid website and newsletter is a FREE resource because of the businesses who sponsor our site. Our local businesses are what helps keep our community unique and thriving.
Readers often ask how they can support me as a small business owner. This is one thing you can do to help... we greatly appreciate your support in reviewing our sponsors articles, advertisements, looking to our business directory to learn more about our beloved local businesses. Click on the ads and links - and if you decide to patronize these businesses, please be sure to let them know you heard about them from Macaroni Kid!