Come; take a drive with me.
We get in the car, we're going down the street enjoying the architecture of the house surrounded by beautiful nature when all of a sudden there is a street sign with your name on it! Do you want me to pull over so you can capture the moment with a photo? Probably! But, are we in a hurry trying to get from point A to point B? Probably...
As a mom who is constantly driving all over God's green Earth, the names of the streets that I know so well are often just a blur on the side of the road. I tend to forget how amazing it is, especially to a kid, when they proudly spot their name on that one special sign. I am also that mom who is usually in a rush and doesn't have time to entertain stopping. But this weekend, we had no plans and an open road ahead of us when we spotted our first sign in Upper St. Clair. So naturally, once one of the kiddos saw their name, they ALL wanted to find a street sign with their name on it.
Enter our Saturday adventure.
I am a huge fan of Google maps so I quickly hopped on my phone to plot out our route. I knew there was a Lucille Dr. that was close to where we were but I was pretty confident I had never seen a Sammy J. Street! With some trial and error searching different combinations of Sam, Sammy, Samuel and Street, Lane, Ave and Drive, I finally found Samuel Drive in Clairton. It is super easy to "add a stop" while working in Google maps and create a custom route so I just let that do all the work while I did the driving! The kids had a blast talking, singing songs, playing games and running out to get their photos. These memories will last a lifetime!
How to do a Street Sign Scavenger Hunt:
- Start by doing a search on Google or Google maps of the names you are looking for. Be sure to experiment with all of the different applications of road names (Road, Street, Ave, Court, Way, Place, Blvd). You might have to settle for the full or short version but don't get discouraged if it doesn't pop up right away.
- Open Google maps and start a destination. Add each new street in as a new stop.
- Pack some drinks, snacks, a camera, and the kids.
- Drive around until you have captured all of the street names you have been looking for!
Here are some ideas to add some more engagement to your fun street sign hunt!
- give your oldest the task of plotting your route
- have your kids co-pilot by reading the turn by turn directions
- better yet, print out a map or head to AAA and have them navigate you old school style
- talk to your little ones while driving, describing everything you pass in detail
- tell your readers to keep their eyes open for other unique street signs that may be significant to them and stop for the photo.
***Above all - please be safe! Never pull your car over or get out on a busy road, or leave a child in a vehicle unattended. If you are using Google maps on your phone, please be sure to check your route before departure and have it displayed properly as to not distract you. These photos were all taken on back, residential streets with limited traffic and safety precautions.***
Be sure to let us know in the comments what local city YOUR street sign is in! If you do this adventure, be sure to tag us in your photos #MKSouthHills, #PGHMacaroniMama and @MacaroniKidSouthHills
Subscribe to Macaroni Kid South Hills FREE weekly newsletter and like and follow our Facebook Page to stay up to date with all the latest family fun in the South Hills of Pittsburgh Area. Sharing this article with others is also a great way to support local.